June 28, 2012
For immediate release
Kimberly-Clark Professional Corporation is voluntarily recalling Kleenex-brand Luxury Foam Hand Sanitizer due to microbial contamination. Product testing undertaken by the company detected bacteria that may pose serious health risks to people with weakened (compromised) immune systems, especially those with cystic fibrosis.
The affected Kleenex Luxury Foam Hand Sanitizer comes in 1 litre and 1.2 litre containers and is used in large-volume dispensers, such as those found in public areas and workspaces. The recall affects approximately 430 containers in total, which were distributed to retail stores and wholesalers across Canada.
Who is affected
Canadians with compromised immune systems, especially those with cystic fibrosis, who have bought or used this product.
What purchasers should do:
- Companies or individuals who have purchased the affected product for use in their facility should remove it from use.
- Contact the company, Kimberly-Clark Professional Corporation at 1-888-346-4652 for more information about the recall.
What immune-compromised consumers should do:
- Do not use the affected Kleenex-brand Luxury Foam Hand Sanitizer or any sanitizer which you cannot identify from a dispenser.
- Speak to your healthcare practitioner about any questions or concerns regarding this product.
- Report any adverse reaction you suspect may be related to this product to Health Canada (see below).
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada is monitoring the recall and the company’s investigation to identify and address the root cause of the contamination.
No adverse reaction reports involving the use of this product have been reported to Health Canada. The company has also confirmed it has received no adverse reactions reports involving the affected product to date.
The bacteria identified in the tested samples are from the Burkholderia cepacia group. These bacteria pose little risk to healthy Canadians, as their bodies are able to successfully fight off infections. For someone whose immune system has been weakened by other serious illnesses, especially cystic fibrosis, these bacteria can cause serious infections, including pneumonia and blood infection.
Please note only the products described below are affected by this recall.
Kleenex Luxury Foam Hand Sanitizer (Benzalkonium Chloride, 0.1%)
1200 mL E-Cassette (used in electronic dispensers)
Drug Identification Number: DIN 02366045
Lot number SA1229ANA
For more information:
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
How to report side effects to health products to Health Canada:
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada’s web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax