- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula,18.14 KG, item #29504, UPC 096619295043
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula, 18.14 KG, item #29506, UPC 096619295067
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula, 7 years and older, 18.14 KG, item #779829, UPC 09661977826
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables, 18.14 KG, item #430541, UPC 096619430543
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula,9.07 KG, item #190379, UPC 096619112852
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs, 15.9 KG, item #295700, UPC 096619470976
- Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food, 15.9 KG, item #470974, UPC 074198610839
Only those products with a production code having both a “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 11th position are affected by the recall. The best before dates for all of the recalled products are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.
Please visit the Health Canada consumer product recall website for additional pet food brands affected by this recall.
A manufacturer in the United States,Diamond Pet Foods, has recalled several batches of its dry pet food due to possible contamination with Salmonella. Several people in the United States and one person in Canada have reportedly become ill with a Salmonella infection as a result of contact with pets or pet food contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.
Pets such as dogs, cats, amphibians and reptiles and their food can carry Salmonella bacteria. People can get infected with the bacteria from handling their pets or their pet’s food or feces. Symptoms of salmonellosis often include:
- sudden onset of fever
- stomach cramps
For more information on the risks of Salmonella infection, please see the Public Health Agency of Canada’s notice related to this recall.
Consumers should immediately stop using any of the Kirkland Signature or Nature’s Domain dry pet food products identified above, and return them to their local Costco for a full refund.
Consumers are advised to always wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after feeding, handling or cleaning up after pets. Clean surfaces that come into contact with pet food or ill pets.
For more information, consumers may contact Diamond Pet Foods at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday between 8 AM to 6 PM EST, or visit Diamond Pet Foods’ website. Assistance is available in both English and French.
Approximately 125,836 bags of the recalled pet food were sold at Costco stores in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
Time Period Sold
The recalled pet food products were sold from December 2011 to March 2012.
Manufactured in the United States of America.
Diamond Pet Foods of Gaston, South Carolina
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. of Ottawa, Ontario
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs