List of affected products for certain ground beef products produced at Establishment 761
OTTAWA, March 19, 2012 – As a result of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency‘s (CFIA) investigation, the public warning issued on March 17, 2012 has been updated to provide details of over 135 affected products under various brand names and codes that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.
In addition to their brand names and codes, the affected products listed can be identified by the Establishment number that appears on the packages, cartons or cases. The products made at this facility bear Establishment number (EST) 761.
This recall is part of an ongoing food safety investigation. The CFIA is working with the responsible company to identify all affected products. As this information becomes available, it will be immediately included in the table on the CFIA website to help consumers identify all affected products.
These products have been distributed nationally to retail stores, restaurants, and institutional establishments, and were manufactured between July 1, 2011 and February 15, 2012.
There has been one reported illness associated with the consumption of one of the affected products.
Food contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 may not look or smell spoiled. Consumption of food contaminated with these bacteria may cause serious and potentially life-threatening illnesses. Symptoms include severe abdominal pain and bloody diarrhoea. Some people may have seizures or strokes and some may need blood transfusions and kidney dialysis. Others may live with permanent kidney damage. In severe cases of illness, people may die.
The CFIA is working with all retailers and distributors to recall all affected products from the marketplace. The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.
For more information, consumers and industry can call the CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 /TTY 1-800-465-7735 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday).
- E. coli warning expanded to include 135 beef products (ctv.ca)
- CFIA EXPANDED HEALTH HAZARD ALERT: Certain ground beef products produced at Establishment 761 (haccpcanada.wordpress.com)
- E. coli beef recall linked to Saskatoon producer (cbc.ca)
- Beef recall due to E. coli fears grows to 135 products (thestar.com)
- Check your freezers for beef products that have been recalled (blogs.calgaryherald.com)
- E. coli warning expands to 135 frozen beef products (cbc.ca)
- Food safety expert warns of ‘nasty bug’ in beef recall (canada.com)
- Public warned of possible E. coli contamination in beef recall (theglobeandmail.com)